In honor of our special celebrity chef guest, Jasper, here is an excellent recipe for you to try and enjoy! Angel hair pasta tossed with a cherry tomato and Zesty Italian sauce and topped with fresh mozzarella cheese and shredded basil.
This dish whips together so quickly that you will have dinner on the table, and by dinner, I mean perhaps the easiest and tastiest pasta ever in record timing. So maybe spaghetti sauce is like two minutes quicker. But this flavor beats marinara any day.
- 1/2 pound angel hair pasta or thin spaghetti uncooked
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion very finely chopped
2 teaspoons mined garlic
- 3/4 cup Zesty Italian dressing separated, fat-free works great
- 2 and 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh basil thinly sliced or chopped
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese chopped into small pieces
- Optional: salt and pepper to taste (I use 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper)
- Optional: red pepper flakes
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook and stir until translucent. Add in the garlic and stir until fragrant. Add in 1/2 cup of the dressing and cherry tomatoes and cook for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- As the tomatoes cook and soften, smash them with the back of a wooden spoon. Continue to cook until the tomatoes make a chunky style sauce. (About 4-6 minutes) Add in the salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the tomato mixture.
- Add in the fresh basil. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Add remaining 1/4 cup of the dressing here and toss everything together. Add in the mozzarella cheese, chopped basil, and red pepper flakes if desired.
- Enjoy immediately.
Recipe courtesy of: https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/caprese-pasta/